10 Most Popular Online Dating Conversation Starters in 2023
If you are new to online dating, the chances are that you are having a difficult time trying to strike up a conversation with a potential match. This is because talking to an absolute stranger can be daunting, especially when they are veiled behind a screen and you cannot tell how they feel about the words you are sending their way. But don’t worry, we have got you covered! Here’s a list of the ten most popular online dating conversation openers to help you land your dream date and save you from any long awkward pauses!
How can I start a conversation on dating apps?
Unlike in real life, where people meet romantic prospects in bars, at parties, and other social gatherings, you can’t get someone’s attention with your looks or personality, buying you time to find the right words to pique their interest and truly woo them over. The right dating app conversation starters can put your foot through the door.
Don’t believe us? We have got proof! When it comes to good conversation openers, Tinder messages carry some meaningful data that can be analyzed to determine what works and what doesn’t. Collecting, cleaning, and evaluating Tinder messages to find good conversation starters Tinder expert Alyssa Beatrice Fernandez made some shocking observations in 2021. She found that 57% of conversations on Tinder were one-message conversations. This means that the recipient was so put off that they never even responded!
When looking for good dating app conversation starters, you can take many different approaches; from up close and personal to fun and casual, you have got to do what works! Here are a few suggestions as to how to start a meaningful conversation on dating apps:
· Ask an open-ended question: It’s a perfectly viable option to keep the conversation light and friendly by asking generic questions like how well are they doing at work or if they have any academic aspirations they want to fulfill.
· Your expectations: In online dating, you can always skip the small talk and jump directly onto what your expectations are from the interaction. Are you looking for a long-term commitment, a casual fling, or a friend to spend time with on holiday? A proactive attitude is a huge turn-on.
· Their expectations: Of all good conversation starters Tinder has shown positive results for this one. It’s always great to tell the other person what you are looking for in a partner. But what’s even better is asking them about their intentions and expectations. It shows care and consideration and also helps you understand whether both of you are on the same page.
· Dig into deep questions: Not everyone enjoys small talk. And when it comes to online dating conversation openers, sometimes asking deep questions is the way to go. You can ask anything from the happiest moment of your life to where you see yourself in the next 10 years. Are you looking for appropriate online conversation starter examples? Keep reading as we get to it shortly!
How do you keep a conversation going in online dating?
With some epic dating app conversation starters, you might have gotten their attention, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Online conversations are like a game of tennis, and with a lack of creativity, interest, or even emotional availability, some can easily drop the ball. Getting left on reading can be super disappointing. Therefore, you must extend your creativity and intelligence beyond clever online dating conversation starters to prevent it. Here are a few tips and tricks on keeping a conversation going in an online dating interaction.
· Ask questions: A great way to keep a conversation going is to ask questions. It’s not a job interview so make sure you keep them fun, quirky, and simple. This shows that you are genuinely interested in them, their lives, their ambitions, and the relationships that are important to them.
· Send media: Sending your match a song you listened to and captioning it with an ‘I heard this song, and I thought you might like it or seeing a meme and sending it with a ‘I saw this, and it reminded me of you’ message is a great strategy to keep your flirt on and the conversation going. This shows the recipient that you are thinking about them, even when the two of you are not actively communicating.
· Dramatic openings: While these aren’t particularly the best suggestion for online dating conversation starters, they work wonders once you have developed a friendly, comfortable relationship with a potential match. Hit them with a ‘Guess what I saw today?’ ‘Or you won’t believe what happened today and you will immediately have their attention.
· Take their advice: Imagine opening a dating site to read this message: ‘So I finally took your advice and got a bob. My hair has never looked nicer, and I have you to thank for it!’ This will immediately make you realize how important and meaningful your presence is to them.
What’s a good conversation starter for online dating?
When it comes to online dating, it’s all about finding the perfect dating app conversation starters. Nothing is a bigger turn-off than a poor conversation, whether you are a man or a woman. While there is no harm with going ahead with the traditional, ‘hey, how are you?’ or ‘hey, what are you up to?’ conversation starter, it’s always better to be a bit more creative so the recipient feels that you are truly interested and invested in the conversation. And that is what online dating conversation starters are for!
When it comes to good conversation starters Tinder messages are a great way of understanding their importance. According to a survey conducted in 2021, some of the words in the top ten most frequently used words in Tinder messages included ‘lol,’ ‘haha,’ and ‘like,’ while the top emoji used was the laugh-cry emoji, also known as the joy emoji in shortcode.
This teaches us two things about online dating conversation starters: they should be funny or reflect something you like in the recipient. However, when it comes to online dating conversation starters, this is not the end of the road. A good conversation starter for a dating site would be anything that would pique the recipient’s interest and keep the conversation running smoothly. It should be something inappropriate, offensive, or cringe-worthy. Avoid starting a conversation by making a strongly-opinionated comment about race, religion, politics, or sexuality.
Want to learn some dating conversation starters that 100% work? Here are our top 10 online dating conversation starters examples to help you begin with:
Top 10 Online Dating Conversation Starters Examples
Are you looking for a ground-breaking, jaw-dropping, flabbergasting conversation starter for a dating site but feeling stumped? Don’t worry; we have got your back! We have compiled a list of our 10 most popular online dating conversation starters to help you land your dream date.
1. I absolutely love your travel photos! Especially the ones from the Maldives. What was your last travel destination?
People who travel a lot also absolutely love talking about it! If they find a fellow travel enthusiast, they can ramble on endlessly, talking about their experiences. And that’s exactly what you want! The above conversation starter kills two birds with one stone. Firstly, as it is a comment made on something you find on their profile, it shows a high level of interest. Secondly, it reflects your inclination towards traveling, which is a major turn-on under most circumstances! Attention, if you talk to a sexy BBW woman, do not compliment her body too much but her confident look and sweet smile.
2. I noticed you have a German shepherd. I had one back in high school, and we called him Zeus. What do you call your beautiful little baby?
This is another conversation starter for dating sites that focuses on details from the recipient’s profile, making them feel like you genuinely have an interest in the conversation and the connection. Pet owners are often obsessed with their animals and love bonding with them. So why miss the opportunity to do so on a dating site?
3. How would you describe your ideal girlfriend/boyfriend? When it comes to online dating conversation starters, this one is a great way to cut to the chase and get to the point. It shows both interests in the other person’s romantic aspirations and expectations and helps you decide whether they align with yours or not. This saves both the parties time and effort, which could instead be invested in someone more in line with one’s expectations.
4. I have also been a boom-box-outside-her-window kind of guy. What about you?
This one is a clever way of letting the other person know your romantic inclinations and expectations by shifting the focus on them. Using a historically famous movie reference lets them know that you prefer intimate and meaningful connections over casual hookups. If that is something they are looking for, the conversation should continue.
5. What are you most passionate about in life?
Are you hoping to have a deep conversation? This conversation starter for a dating site is the recipe for success! It gives you an insightful view of the other person’s personality, whether they are heartfelt and high-spirited or practical and just trying to get through life. Alternatively, they could feel strongly about anything- from a job to a skill to a significant other. And that is a great way of finding out their priorities in life.
6. What was it like growing up in Nebraska?
Untethering one’s childhood memories can be a bittersweet and nostalgic experience. It shows that you are deeply connected to your emotions and do not shy away from vulnerability. Especially, when you meet a BBW woman on dating sites, the nostalgia may be good for starting your conversation. And this could work wonders with emotionally secure people who wear their hearts on their sleeves but could easily push away those who are not. Therefore, use it with caution.
7. Who would it be if you had to go to dinner with one person, dead or alive?
This is a fun and creative way of looking deeper into your potential date’s conversation. It gives a light and friendly start to the correspondence while helping you figure out the subjects they are intuitively drawn towards.
8. What is the worst conversation starter you have come across on this dating app?
When it comes to online dating conversation starters, this one is a humor play! It depicts the sender as a quirky yet confident individual. However, at the same time, the rationale behind it is much deeper. The recipient’s response can help you guess how they feel about their conversation with you and if your conversation starter falls on the list too!
9. What does your average weekend look like? Do you catch up with friends or just lay back and binge-watch Netflix shows?
If you are going to date someone, you have to make sure that your habits and lifestyle align with theirs. Imagine being stuck with a couch potato while you are a travel junkie and a social bumblebee, always hopping on to the next flight!
10. What kind of books do you like to read?
This one is meaningful and reflective among many other online dating conversation starters. The truth is, a person’s reading list speaks volumes about them. Do they read for pleasure, or do they have a deeper connection with the literary world?
Whether you initiate a conversation with a question, a funny quip, or a fascinating observation about their profile details, what matters is that you can express your interest and excitement by effectively talking to them. A conversation that starts with some clichéd, boring one-liners has little chance of survival both online and offline. The top 10 online dating conversation openers examples above are just a few ways to initiate an online conversation. You can always tailor them according to your personality and the information you have at hand about your potential match.